Trump announces new tariff plans for Mexico starting August 1


President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that his administration would impose 30% tariffs on goods from Mexico and the European Union members, quoted Trade deficit and national security concerns.

In another letter posted to Truth Social, Trump said the new tariffs targeting two of the US’s biggest trading partners were “apart from all secular tariffs” already in place.

In a letter to Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum Pardo, Trump said Mexico was unable to make enough progress to stop it. Drug Cartel And the fentanyl trend of “turning everything in North America into a theatre of Narco transport,” prompted us to raise tariffs from the original 25% announced earlier this year.

“Mexico has helped me secure the border, but what Mexico has done isn’t enough,” Trump wrote to Sinbaum. “Mexico has yet to stop a cartel trying to turn everything in North America into a Nalco trafficking theater. Obviously, I can’t make it happen!”

Trump walks to the Marines

President Donald Trump walked the Southern Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC on July 11, 2025. Trump threatened 30% tariffs on goods from Mexico and the European Union on Saturday. (Samuel Comb/Cipa/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

“From August 1, 2025, Mexico will charge a 30% tariff on Mexican products sent to the US, apart from all sectors’ tariffs,” Trump added. “Products introduced to avoid higher tariffs will be subject to that higher tariff.”

In another letter to President Ursula von der Leyen of the European Commission, Trump said of the European Union The policy will create a “large, unsustainable trade deficit against the United States,” adding that the above imbalances also pose a major national security threat.

“We have been discussing business relationships with the European Union for years, and we have concluded that we must move away from your tariffs and these long-term, massive, permanent trade obstacles that have been created by non-tariffs, policies and trade barriers,” Trump wrote.

Trump threatens 35% tariffs on Canadian goods than dangerous cross-border fentanyl conflicts

Sheinbaum responds to US customs duties

Mexican President Claudia Sinbaum will hold a press conference on March 4th to announce the response to US tariffs at the National Palace in Mexico City. (Reuters/Racel Kuna/Reuters)

Trump also warned Any retaliatory tariffs imposed by Mexico or the EU match and added to the base fee of 30% “whatever you choose to raise them will be added to the 30% we charge.”

Trump has announced that it will wipe out 50% tariffs on Brazilian imports, which begin in August. 1

Ursula von der Leyen

The European Commission’s Ursula von der Leyen gestures while attending a press conference in Brussels on October 17, 2024. (Getty Images/Getty Images)

Von Der Leyen responded to the announcement in X’s post, warning that tariffs have negatively affected both economies, but expressed their willingness to continue negotiations.

“A 30% tariff on EU exports will hurt businesses, consumers and patients on both sides of the Atlantic,” von der Leyen said. “We will continue to work towards a contract by August 1st, and at the same time we are ready to protect the EU’s interests based on proportional measures.”

Click here to get your Fox business on the go

US Census Bureau data shows that Mexico is now The top US trading partner in 2025. The top 15 EU members include Germany, Italy, France and the Netherlands.

With the announcement on Saturday, Trump is currently issuing tariff conditions to more than 20 individual countries and 27 European Unions.

Sheinbaum did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Fox News Digital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *