Barcelona’s president Laporta slams La Liga and suggests they are “trying to make the club unstable”
The president of Barcelona’s Joan Laporta suggests that La Liga is trying to “destabilize” the club after Catalans were accused of failing to follow financial fair play rules.
The agency issued a statement this morning saying that Barka’s pay restrictions have been cut. This comes after revenue streams fell after sales of 100 million euros of VIP seats at the renovated Campnoo were discounted from the latest account.
La Liga said the deal was previously included, allowing the club to register Dani Olmo and Pau Víctor later in the season.
Angry Laporta assaults
Laporta says that when the club’s lawyers investigated the case in depth, Barcelona prepares an official response, but when he asked about it before the team’s Copa del Rey Semi Finals, tonight’s second game against Atletico Madrid, he was visibly angry.
🏆Match Day! 🏆#Athletaric pic.twitter.com/y9lvppcjjq
-FC Barcelona (@fcbarcelona) April 2, 2025
The 62-year-old told Elmundo Deportivo: “Sometimes I have the feeling that this is not a coincidence. Today we play the Finals in Atletico and Madrid. I hope this is a great show. It’s not a coincidence that they come out and activate this type of controversy.
“Sometimes I feel that I can’t win on the field they are trying to win in the office. As Barca president, I can’t forgive this. I will continue to protect the interests of our club to protect our members and our fans.
“When legal services thoroughly analyze La Liga’s letters, the club responds. They respond in the most powerful way necessary to defend the interests of FC Barcelona.”
Final decision on the duo expected next week
Higher Sports Council (CSD) has granted a temporary license for OLMO and Victor to continue playing, but will announce their final decision on April 7th.
Laporta is confident that the pair will be able to participate in the rest of Barca’s games. “We have already said three months ago that Olmo and PauVíctor’s registration was done correctly and that they met all the requirements required by RFEF (Spanish FA) and La Liga.
Barca has 9 games with 3 points cleared at the top of Spain’s top flight.
They will face Atletico tonight at Metropolitano after a pulsating 4-4 draw in the Catalonia’s first leg on February 25th.
Olmo was injured and not working, but Pau Víctor was included in the team.