South Korean president could lose his job on April 4th, four months after attempting to impose martial law



South Korea’s constitutional court will issue a long-awaited ruling on President Yoon Sook Yeol’s bluff each on Friday months after he was suspended Declaration of martial law.

On December 3rd, Yoon’s attempt to destroy civilian rule caused South Korea to become political turmoil after sending armed soldiers to Congress.

Lawmakers rejected the military and voted for the measure, and quickly fired Yoon each, but for months of political instability, they were hit by South Korea’s economy, leaving the country in leadership, despite US President Donald Trump’s targeting the region with tariffs.

The court held a week-long perch hearing to determine whether Yoon would officially take office, and then took weeks to deliberate on the case, giving a surge in speculation suggesting that the judiciary must be experiencing fierce disagreements.

“The President’s verdict in the ammo each case will be held in the Constitutional Court on April 4, 2025,” the court said in a statement Tuesday.

For Yoon to be removed from office, at least six of the eight justices in the court must vote in his favour. Confirmation of his blast each will cause an election that must take place within 60 days.

Hundreds of thousands of Koreans support Yoon every weekend in Central Seoul.

Former prosecutor Yoon was taken into custody in January on rebellion charges but was released in early March for procedural reasons. He remained rebellious throughout, denounced the “malicious” opposition.

He is also the first sitting South Korean president to be tried in a criminal case, facing charges of a rebellion over a martial law bid.

A fresh election?

“After a long wait, the Constitutional Court has finally responded to the people,” said a spokesman for the opposition Democratic Party.

“We believe that the court will demonstrate a firm determination to defend South Korea’s constitutional order and establishment principles by removing rebel Yoon Sook Yeol from his position.”

Yoon’s party welcomed the court’s move to issue a ruling and said it hoped the verdict would be “fair and fair” and not lead to further social unrest.

People’s power parties “respect and accept the decisions of the courts, and after the ruling, both the ruling and the opposition must take the lead in easing the public sector and promoting national unity.”

If the Constitutional Court decides to formally dismiss the president, it will cause an election. That is that opposition leader Lee Jammune is currently on the forefront of winning.

The appeals court overturned an election law conviction against Lee last week, potentially sparing him the way he launches a presidential campaign.

However, if it resurrected on appeal before the election, he will be stripped of his seat of parliament and banned from taking office for five years, including the next presidential vote.

Rafe Eric Easley, a professor at EWHA University in Seoul, said Lee’s ruling might have been thought to be “a lot of Koreans reading political tea leaves.”

“This is a judiciary that is trying to unlock laws from the past three years to allow South Korea’s political crisis to be resolved by elections rather than by courts.”

In another case, the Constitutional Court last week rejected Prime Minister Han Dak Saw’s blast each and resurrected him as representative president – the role he took after the president was suspended because he declared martial law.

Experts said the ruling did not focus on the legality of martial law itself, and therefore had no direct legal correlation with Yun’s pending decision regarding the ammo each.

This story was originally introduced Fortune.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *