Trump gives Tiktok another 75 days to hit the sale


President Donald Trump has given Tiktok time to sell his US business, saying “risqué progress” has been made towards the contract and pushed the enforcement of a ban that he plans to kick on Saturday.

Friday afternoon truth social postsaid Trump has signed an executive order that will close the deadline until June 19th and give Tiktok another 75 days, as the deal will require more work despite its progress.

Trump went on to say his administration will continue to work with China and will be trusted. Tariffs he established earlier this weekcalling them “the most powerful economic tools” and “very important.”

“I don’t want Tiktok to ‘dark’,” Trump said in his post. “We look forward to working with Tiktok and China to close the deal.”

Both Tiktok and the Chinese government have long opposed the sale of our US operations, and it remains unclear whether their position has changed. Tiktok did not immediately return an email seeking comment.

read more: Tiktok Backup: 6 Similar Apps for Everyday Fun

China on Friday responded to tariffs Trump spoke by matching them with US goods. Expanding trade war between the two countries and overthrowing stock markets around the world. The Dow Jones industrial average plummeted over 2,200 points, while the Nasdaq composite lost 5.8% in the afternoon trade. This is the biggest decline in five years.

The ban on Tiktok delay was not unexpected. Potential bidders for Tiktok’s US business have made their interest known over the past few days, and Trump has met with administrative officials this week to discuss possible deals and ownership structures.

A recent report by The New York Times includes one plan Private equity firms Blackstone and The Tech Company Oraclewhile others are related to a Last minute bids from Amazon.

Legislators from both parties have long voiced concerns Tiktok could be a threat to national security It can also be used by the Chinese government to spy on Americans and spread disinformation on the Chinese agenda. Tiktok continues to deny these accusations.

The law requiring the sale was passed by Congress with overwhelmingly bipartisan support last year and was signed into law by then-President Joe Biden. Free speech and other groups appealed to overturn the law on the grounds of the first amendment, but that It was upheld by the US Supreme Court in January.

So, what’s next for Tiktok? This is what you need to know.

See this: US vs Tiktok: What happens next

What does the law do?

The law aims to force buyers to sell Bi-Tedan, Tiktok’s China-based parent company, to sell Bayte Dance. American officials are fine and ensure that the ordinance does not access US user data or control the Tiktoc algorithm.

Tiktok was given the original sales deadline of January 19th, as nine months was adhered to. At that point, the government may request that the app be removed from the US app store, and other tech companies will stop supporting the app and website.

Tiktok was shut down in the US on the night of January 18th and cited the ban, but returned online the following morning after Trump assured him that it would not be enacted immediately. Trump later officially formalized the promise by signing an executive order directing the Attorney General not to enforce the 75-day ban, effectively moving the deadline to April 5th.

The new executive order pushes back deadlines, and is a federal public holiday on June 19th, June 19th.

read more: Tiktok loves to give financial advice. But don’t believe everything you hear

What is Trump thinking?

After initially calling for a ban during his first presidency, Trump said in his 2024 campaign that he had no support for it and pledged to “save Tiktok,” but he didn’t specify how to do it.

Trump told the media on Sunday “I have a great deal of interest in Tiktok,” he added, “I want to see Tiktok alive.” The president also said “we have many potential buyers,” and that his administration is “dealing with China,” which has long been opposed to the sale.

On March 26th, Trump said Consider lowering tariffs on Chinese products If the government of that country approves the sale of Tiktok’s US operations. He also reiterated his willingness at the time to retard deadlines if necessary.

Trump has also come to mind the idea that the US is taking 50% of the company as part of the joint venture, but has not provided any details on how it will work.

Tiktok CEO Shou Chew was one of several well-known technical executives attending Trump’s inauguration in January hours before Trump signed an order allowing the 75-day extension.

Prior to that, at a press conference in December, Trump pointed out the role Tiktok played during the election, and believed he helped win the young people’s votes.

“We’re watching that because Tiktok has had an impact,” Trump said. “There’s a slightly warmer place in my heart. To be honest.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *